The name of Neal Bouvier is known very little among ordinary people. But for the chosen and privileged ones that name sounds a lot since many representatives of the elite are fans of his works of sweet art.
He does not have his page on social networks or his photos on the Internet, he hardly talks to people and never talks to journalists. He is a very reserved person, self-absorbed, even strange. Few persons who had a chance to talk to Neal say that it is very difficult to communicate with him. And even the great fans of his works don’t know what he looks like. They say that after his divorce he does not want to take pictures of himself and doesn’t let unknown people see his face.
Sounds very mysterious, doesn’t it? But the truth is that this man can afford any caprice because he makes true works of art of his desserts. Everyone who has tasted their delights says it is the best they have eaten in their life. Although it is not possible to speak with many of its clients – the elite usually keeps secret the details of their big parties, for which they hire Neal, who makes cakes, which look more like the sculptures of a museum, for these events.
There are even rumors that the wedding cake of the Prince of Britain was also his work. We do not know it in fact, but you can believe it because it is difficult to find the professional of equal level for such a big event.
When we tried to find some details of his biography, we discovered that he began to gain fame a few years ago, when he lived in Barcelona and worked in a restaurant as a pastry chef. We have even found people who say, they have tried his churros, which were then sold on the Rambla!
It is also known about this mysterious man that he was born in France, in a small village near Marseilles, and began his career as a baker’s assistant. Now it is very difficult to believe that. But it can be concluded that if he managed to get so much starting from nothing, he is certainly not only a very talented man but also very strong and decisive.
They say that one of Neal’s most original desserts is called “Pavlova Swan”. It was inspired by the Russian dancer Pavlova her representation of the swan. The unusualness of this dessert is that it has to be eaten very fast, or “it dies”, like this famous swan in ballet.
I don’t know about you, but I’m dying to taste something of this chef’s delights. And much mystery around his figure only arouses my interest. Who knows, maybe someday we can see his face or try something of his dishes in a restaurant opened for ordinary people, and not just for the celebrities?
For now, he at least deserves to be mentioned in our blog about the most talented bakers in the world.
As you understand, it is rather difficult to find the recipe of some dessert of a chef who loves secrets so much. But we managed to find the recipe that is close to his chocolate tart, as people who tasted it say.
Here is it. Enjoy!
No-Bake Chocolate Tart
- 24 Oreo cookies
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick/56 g) butter, melted
- 170 g (1 cup) coarsely chopped bittersweet chocolate
- 170 g (1 cup) coarsely chopped milk chocolate
- 1 cup (240 ml) heavy cream
- ¼ cup (1/2 stick/56 g) butter, cut into small pieces
- To make the crust: Pulse Oreo cookies, with filling, in a food processor until finely ground. Put crumbs to a medium bowl, put there melted butter, and mix it. Press the mixture onto the bottom and up the sides of a tart pan. Place it in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- To make the filling: In a medium heatproof bowl, place chopped bittersweet and milk chocolate. In a small saucepan over medium heat, boil heavy cream and butter. Remove from the heat and pour mixture over the chocolate. Let stand for 1 minute. Using a rubber spatula, stir mixture until it is melted and smooth. Pour mixture over chilled Oreo crust and refrigerate it at least 4 hours but better 6.