From the young age, this pastry chef knew what he wanted to do for living. He grew up in Folsom, and his grandmother and uncle were cooks, so he always wanted to help them in the kitchen – especially when they were cooking bread and desserts. “I fell in love with the artistic side of baking,” he says. “I like to create different flavors and presentations…to innovate.”
After his graduation from the culinary school, he practiced in many different places – like cruise ships, hotels, and resorts. He also traveled the world to continue his education and work with famous chefs.
Nowadays Julian own his restaurant Patisserie and Café in hometown. Having his own place is a dream come true, yet it also represents the culmination of many years of hard work and dedication. “You’re not a chef after [culinary] school…it’s a title you earn.”
Here is one of his desserts that we managed to find.
White chocolate mousse
- 255g white chocolate chips
- 1 cup + 6 tablespoons (330ml) heavy whipping cream, cold, divided
- 1/2 cup (58g) powdered sugar
- 1/4 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup (110g) chopped strawberries
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon water
- Put the white chocolate chips into a medium-sized bowl.
- Heat 6 tablespoons of heavy cream until it starts to boil, then pour over the white chocolate chips. Cover with clear wrap and let it sit for 3-4 minutes, then whisk until smooth. Cool it to room temperature.
- Whip remaining 1 cup of heavy whipping cream in a large mixer bowl. Whip until cream begins to thicken, then add powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Continue whisking until stiff peaks.
- Carefully fold about 1/3 of the whipped cream into the cooled white chocolate mixture and mix it.
- Fold in the remaining whipped cream until well combined.
- Divide the mousse between cups and refrigerate until it becomes firm.
- While the mousse firms, combine the strawberries, sugar, and water and put it in the fridge for 1-2 hours. The sauce will be made from strawberry juice and sugar. Spoon the strawberry mixture over the white chocolate mousse cups before serving.