Carême is a famous French chef who served Napoleon Bonaparte, tsar Alexander I and the other royalty of Europe. The chef wrote a lot of classic books on cuisine, that’s why Carême is considered as one of the founders of French grande cuisine.
His family was very poor. So Carême began his career very early when he was 15. Marie-Antoine was working as a kitchen helper. After that, he started in a fashionable pastry shop, in Paris. There he met Charles-Maurice de Talleyrand, 1st Prime Minister of France in the government of Napoleon.
Carême became the chef of Talleyrand for 12 years. Next, he found the job at court of George IV, King of Great Britain. But the British King was a difficult personality, so the King of the Chefs went to Russia to serve Tsar Alexander I of Russia.
In fact Carême was so popular because he was good in decorating the table and the dishes. He invited a lot of things for example, Royal French Apple Pies making specially for King of England.
- 1,5 teaspoon cinnamon
- 600g apples
- 100g coconut sugar
- 1,5 tablespoon cornflour mixed with a tablespoon cold water
- 20g butter
- pinch sea salt
- 1 egg beaten with milk
- 1 packet Puff Pastry
- Unroll the pastry and dust it with flour.
- Flip over and dust also the underside with flour.
- Cut the pastry in lengthways.
- Roll each piece of pastry.
- Put pastry in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Combine the apple, a little bit of sugar, butter and 2 tablespoons water and mix them.
- Cook for 15 minutes.
- Transfer apples to a plate and pop in the fridge to cool.
- Brush the edges and place the remaining pastry on top of the apple and press sides to seal.
- Bake it for 15 minutes.
- Serve hot with chocolate and strawberry ice cream.